Garden Herb Bread
Adapted from old recipe in a 1962 Women's Day magazine
- In large mixing bowl, soak 1 cup rolled oats in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Let stand about ½ hour and add to the bowl
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoon fresh chopped basil
- one half teaspoon fresh thyme,
- 4 teaspoons fresh summer savory ( 2 teaspoon dried),
- one half teaspoon aniseed,
- one third cup of honey
- 2 tablespoons of soft butter,
- 2 and one half teaspoon salt
- Dissolve 2 packages active dry yeast in 1/3 cup lukewarm water
and ½ teaspoon of sugar
- when fully activated add to warm oats.
- Mix in about 6 cups of white flour
( I substituted with about 2 cups white wheat flour.).
- Knead dough until it is smooth and elastic.
Put in a cleaned greased bowl,
cover and let rise until almost doubled ( 1 ½ - 2 hours)
- Divide dough, and shape for 9" x 5" x3" loaf pan. Makes 2 loaves.
Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 350 F for 45- 50 minutes.