(Joan's version of recipe from the Oregonian November 5, 2007)
French Onion Soup
Makes 6 generous servings
This is a classic onion soup .
For easier preparation, prepare the stock and onions ahead of time.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 pounds yellow onions, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 2 and 1/2 quarts beef stock, preferably homemade (see accompanying recipe)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon cognac or brandy
- 6 slices sturdy artisan bread
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 3 cups shredded gruyere cheese (about 3/4 pound)
- Set two large sauté pans or Dutch ovens over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons butter to each.
- When butter has melted, divide the onions between the pans, cover, and cook slowly until translucent and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lids, add 1/4 teaspoon salt to each pan, and brown the onions, stirring frequently, until they are the color of dark brown sugar, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- You should end up with about 2 cups of caramelized onions.
- Place the stock in a large pot set over high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced to 2 quarts, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Add the wine and cognac; simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the onions, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the bread with olive oil and set the slices on the rack. Place the sheet in the oven and toast the bread for 15 minutes, turning slices over halfway through, until crisp on the outside.
- Rub the cut clove of garlic on each slice. Set aside.
- When soup is ready, preheat the broiler and set the oven rack 6 inches below the heating element.
- Set 6 oven-proof bowls on a baking sheet Divide the soup among the bowls.
- Set a slice of toasted bread on top of each, cutting to fit if necessary.
- Sprinkle the bread with cheese (about 1/2 cup per bowl).
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil until cheese is melted and just starting to brown.
- Serve immediately.
Clich Here to see how to prepare the onions
Click Here to see How to Prepare the Croutons
PER SERVING: calories: 581(44% from fat); protein: 26.4 grams; total fat: 28.3 grams; saturated fat: 15.8 grams; cholesterol: 88 mg; sodium: 1189 mg; carbohydrate: 48.6 grams; dietary fiber: 4 grams